When we engage with a new client, one of the first questions we ask is, “what are your mission, vision and values?” Some companies have no problem answering that question. But some really struggle—either because they haven’t developed them, or haven’t communicated this core messaging throughout the organization.
If your organization just hasn’t communicated these messages, that’s an easy fix: send out an email, add them to your policies and procedure manual, etc.
If your mission, vision and values aren’t even defined…you’ve got some important work to do.
Developing and disseminating this core messaging gets all the members of your team on the same page and speaking the same language. It also sets the stage for telling the story you want to tell with your marketing.
To get you started, here’s a quick primer on the purpose of each. If you get stuck, we’d be happy to work with you to get this core messaging in place.
Your mission statement serves as the definition of your company’s core purpose, cause or passion—it’s your reason for being. Ours is “To be a catalyst for growth.” The definition of growth may change from client to client, but however they define it—financial, cultural, geographical, etc.—we want to enable that change.
Your vision statement creates a mental picture of what your company aspires to and is working toward, providing guidance and inspiration. Here’s ours:
We strive to embrace our clients’ objectives and, through collaboration, produce creative, powerful and effective solutions.
Your values are the principles that define your company’s corporate culture. They reflect your skills and mindset, while providing a framework for everything you do, guiding both internal conduct and external relationships. These are the values that we consider an integral part of our company culture:
- Candor: We believe communication is our responsibility. We promise to be open, honest, candid and challenging in our efforts to further your business.
- Flexibility: We believe change is constant. That’s why we adopted an agile business model. Our flexibility allows us to adapt to change in the marketplace, and to anticipate the needs of our clients.
- Fiscal Vigilance: We believe responsibility with our finances—and the finances of our clients—ensures mutual success. We strive to avoid inefficiency and waste in every project and business venture.
- Creativity: We believe creativity fuels collaboration. We interpret problems as opportunities and approach every challenge with an eye toward discovery.
- Curiosity: We believe that our curiosity ultimately results in more effective solutions. We challenge ourselves and our clients, because when we question and investigate, we propel one another forward.
- Diversity: We believe in the strength of diversity and its ability to inspire rare solutions. We seek associates, vendors and clients who can provide a different view of the world.
- Environmental Responsibility: We believe it is vital for all of us to protect and preserve our resources. Therefore, we strive to select responsible products, providers and partners.
- Community Service: We believe it is our duty to contribute to the health, prosperity and success of our community, both individually and as an organization. When we lift one another’s spirits, we are all elevated.
- Connectivity: We believe that when we connect people and ideas, we strengthen the fabric of our community. Any one of us could be the thread that ties two strangers. And that serves all of us well—personally and professionally.
Solid, clear mission, vision and values statements guide all aspects of your decision making: hiring, firing, partnerships, expansion, etc. Once you have this core messaging in place, don’t forget to review it every once in a while. It will help to keep you on track and remind you of why you’re in business.